14 Common Symptoms of Congestive Heart Failure in Men and Women
- Posted on: Jul 15 2019
Taking care of the heart is incredibly important in maintaining overall health and wellness. But patients who are noticing changes in their body and their ability to exercise may want to be evaluated by a doctor to look for problems that could be associated with the health of their heart. Conditions such as congestive heart failure are serious and the symptoms should not be ignored. Below is a list of common signs that congestive heart failure may be present:
- Chest pain that is caused by a heart attack
- Severe and sudden moments of shortness of breath
- Generalized fatigue and weakness unexplained by changes in activity levels
- Shortness of breath when lying down or exerting energy
- Swelling of the feet, ankles, and/or legs (called edema)
- Coughing of white or pink phlegm (blood-tinged)
- Increased need for urinating during the night
- Swelling of the abdomen (ascites)
- Increased and rapid weight gain from fluid retention
- Reduced appetite
- Fast or irregular heartbeats
- Inability to exercise
- Poor concentration and alertness
Some of these symptoms may be indicative of other medical conditions. However, if some or all are present, it is never a bad idea to contact a doctor for an immediate evaluation. In a case of emergency, such as the signs of a heart attack or inability to properly breath, it is essential that patients seek transportation to an emergency room as soon as possible as their condition may be life-threatening.
Patients who are diagnosed with congestive heart failure will need to work with a cardiologist to determine the course of treatment most appropriate for the severity and stage of their condition. Treatments vary dramatically, so a customized treatment plan tailored to the individual and their needs is essential.
Are you exhibiting the symptoms of congestive heart failure?
It is critical that you visit with a doctor as soon as possible to be evaluated and to discuss the possibility of dealing with conditions such as congestive heart failure. The team at Cardiovascular Associates of Mesa in the Mesa, AZ community can help. Call our cardiovascular professional today to book an appointment at (480) 641-5400. The practice is located at 6116 East Arbor Avenue and is open to new patients.
Posted in: Heart Conditions