Chemical One Day Patient Instructions
Chemical Nuclear Stress Test (One Day)
Please allow 4 hours to complete this test
This procedure is used as a tool for the detection of coronary (heart) artery disease. In order to obtain the images for this procedure, a small gauge IV will be inserted into either arm or hand. This IV will be used for all medications and nuclear imaging tracers. You will be imaged twice; first is the rest phase of the procedure and then the stress phase. Imaging takes about 15-20 minutes for each set of images. The stress phase consists of an injection of a short acting drug that dilates the coronary (heart) arteries. The diagnostic data obtained is the same as if you were exercising on a treadmill. Occasionally, chest tightness, shortness of breath, head pressure and nausea are felt. However, this sensation should dissipate in a matter of minutes post injection. In most cases, patients are walked on a treadmill very slowly to help minimize the side effects.
Preparation: PLEASE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS OR YOUR TEST MAY BE
- Do not eat for four hours prior to the test.
- If you are scheduled after 12:00 p.m., please eat a fatty meal 4 hours before your scheduled test.
- If you are diabetic and/or on insulin: Eat, take ½ your insulin dose and bring a
- Do not eat or drink anything caffeinated or de-caffeinated for 12 hours prior to your study. This includes coffee, decaf coffee, tea, decaf tea, sodas, and chocolate.
- Do not take any medications that have caffeine including Excedrin, Anacin, Darvon, etc.
- Do not drink any fluids one hour prior to the test.
- Take your medications as you normally do except Theophylline, Persantine, Aggrenox as these should be avoided 48 hours prior to testing.
- Drink as much water as you can the day prior to hydrate your system.
What to wear: Please wear a loose, comfortable, cotton t-shirt. Please do not wear nylon shirts or undershirts. Please no metal buttons, no jewelry, perfume or lotions. Please wear comfortable walking shoes and no flip-flops or open-toed shoes.
What to bring: Please bring a fatty snack, such as chips, cookies, etc. and your preferred choice of caffeinated soda. You will need to have your snack and soda after the stress portion of the test.
Please bring a sweater as our rooms tend to be cool and books or magazines to keep you busy during the 4 hours.
Please arrive 30 minutes prior to your scheduled time; this is especially important as the nuclear medication can decay over time. If you are scheduled at 7:00 a.m., arrive 15 minutes early only.
** Please call our office if you have any questions regarding your test preparation**
Insurance co-payments: All patients except those with Medicare only, please verify your co-payment for this test with your insurance company prior to your appointment. Call member services (the phone number is on your insurance card) and verify the dollar amount of your co-payment required. Co-payments for diagnostic test may differ from office visit co-payments. This amount can vary from $0-$200 per test or may be a percentage of the actual cost of the test. The contract that you have with your insurance carrier determines this amount. Our office has no influence on the amount owed at the time of service.
**Please call the office with any insurance questions**
PLEASE NOTE: Failure to show or cancel this test with a 24- Hour or more notice may result in a $100 fee.